Translate

====================

====================
Dear Reader,
I share here what I like and what works for me. If you've been following me, you know that I can change my mind from time to time, and feel free to comment that I'm completely wrong, you may be right. I'm not running a business. I'm not paid and have never received any compensation or facilitation for any review/brand/site here mentioned. In case one day we'll ever meet, I'll be the one offering you a cup of Italian coffee, too.
====================

Tuesday 20 March 2018

useless work

They did it again (have you read my post are you serious?)!
Here it is another authoritative source:
Dictionnaire critique et raisonné des étiquettes de la cour, des ..., Volume 2 - by Stéphanie Félicité de Genlis
"Cet ouvrage en général ne servoit a rien" ... Dear Milady, every lace is a frivolousness, nevertheless I've found it very useful on several occasions...
knotting - detail
Pictures are details of my knotting work, that I purposely made for an exhibition held by the local lace association, to show what this work was about.
knotting - the flower drawing is designed by me
The exhibition hosted authentic lace from 1600 and 1700, private collections, and reproductions of costumes of that age. Many thanks to the precious help given by Alessandra, her site is Merletto Italiano.
That is how the knotting was displayed:
knotting - displayed on a table, near by a short description and a picture
Madame de Genlis, in 1818, wrote that the work with the shuttle was useless. Also, I found a play written by Goldoni (Italian source!) in 1756, "The Dutch Doctor", in which the knotting is mentioned, in fact there's a lady who says that knotting is her hobby ("lavorier non si chiama") and she's going to do couching and put it on a dress. The oldest portrait I've found with knotting it is one from 1743, in Pinterest, but I followed the link and it is from a museum (THE MET) where unfortunately they write that the picture is "not in view". I've been collecting pictures in a board in Pinterest. Here is the link: https://it.pinterest.com/ninettacaruso/ritratti-knotting/

Follow Ninetta's board ritratti knotting on Pinterest.

To make my knotting, I followed the instructions showed in this site: knotting shuttle videos (http://www.cfgriffith.com/image-gallery/knotting-shuttle-videos/). I also designed the 2 flowers for the picture.

For couching, I used the same stitches showed in the mentioned site, that in Italian we call "punto posato", literally it is laid down stitch, it is something very well known in the gold and silver embroidery. (http://www.iccd.beniculturali.it/siti_tematici/Scheda_VeAC/lemmario/index.asp@page=consultazionealfabetica&lettera=P&idCapo=298.html)
(http://www.iccdold.beniculturali.it/siti_tematici/Scheda_VeAC/lemmario/index.asp@page=consultazionealfabetica&lettera=p&idCapo=298&indietro=1.html)

knotting - back side
Many children came to visit the exhibition, of course they wanted to try making little knots! Very useful way to catch their attention!

And in the next picture, there are 3 little gifts for friends, bag mirrors, made with the same technique:

Ciao,
Ninetta
Related posts:

14 comments:

  1. The world needs some ‘useless work’! The exhibition looks fascinating, how lucky you are to be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you :) it's a great opportunity for learning

      Delete
  2. I'm pretty useless myself so what's a little bit more frivolity ;-P
    Love the gracefulness of your patterns !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you'd believe me, you're very useful! thank you very much :-f

      Delete
  3. Ah yes! Useless..... Well, as an organist and tatter and "one without a career" I qualify for that adjective! But!!!! I refuse to be called useless! I create. That's useful! Please keep up your work. The flower design you created is wonderful, fresh, and decorative. I'd use it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a scripture somewhere that says to seek out beautiful things, and tgatsvwhat we are doing😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, handmade lace is beautiful! thank you :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful knotting and thanks Ninetta for sharing the link and information on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful knitting, thank you for sharing your gorgeous work

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for all your nice comments.

Ciao
Ninetta